Parental leave to care for a child during Covid-19
During Covid-19 we can also consider paid time off parental leave for a child in self-isolation / clinically extremely vulnerable child that is shielding / school closure during tier 4 lockdown. If you find yourself in this situation and are not able to work from home, discuss your situation with your line manager using the following checklist:-
- What would you normally do in an emergency childcare situation?
- Is the usual default still an option?
- Is childcare an issue for particular times of the day/night or the whole time?
- Have homeworking options in respect of your role been explored?
- Has your manager explored potential alternative work i.e. a specific short-term project work from other areas of the department?
- Do you share your household with other adults that could support with the childcare arrangement? i.e. partner, older siblings etc?
- Sometimes the age and maturity of the child will allow further flexibility. Is that a consideration that you can explore further?
- Are there extended family members from outside the household that could provide childcare support?
- Would an alternative working pattern be feasible? i.e. working alternate times to another person/persons who can share the responsibility?
- Is there potential to work reduced hours for this temporary period (pay remains unaffected)?
Page updated: 22/01/2021 11:38:13