U: Drive (Home Folder) Data Migration
ICT Services will be carrying out a migration of all users “U: Drive” data from local storage to Microsoft OneDrive starting Friday 24th of July at 6pm.
What is Microsoft OneDrive?
OneDrive is part of the Office 365 suite of products, it provides online and offline storage for work related documents and should not be used for storage of non-work related files. It is a storage area that only you have access to and will replace your current U: Drive (Home Folder).
In short, you should work with your new OneDrive in the same way you currently use your U: drive/
Why are we moving to OneDrive?
The migration of user data to OneDrive is the next step in our journey towards utilizing the many features that come with Office 365. Apart from replacing our traditional file storage, OneDrive introduces will introduce new functionality, such as the ability to:
- Work Flexibly – Whilst traditionally U drive documents were only able to be accessed on your desktop/laptop, OneDrive data can be accessed from any corporate device, meaning if you have a corporate Apple or Android mobile device or tablet, you can view and work on your documents on the go.
- Collaborate – You will be able to share and collaborate on documents with users directly from your OneDrive account. Where traditionally you would have had to move the file to a shared folder on the Council File Plan or e-mail to a colleague.
- Keep Your Data Safe –Any Microsoft documents saved in OneDrive will have autosave and version history enabled, meaning you will not have to worry about manually saving a document and you can restore from multiple versions at your convenience.
ACTION REQUIRED: How will the migration affect me?
OneDrive should already be enabled on your device, prior to migration it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the location. OneDrive can be found through file explorer (where you would normally browse files on your system) on the left hand (OneDrive – Carmarthenshire County Council).
If OneDrive is not accessible on your device, please log a call with the IT Helpdesk
Your U: drive data will be migrated on Friday 24th of July at 6pm and will complete over the weekend, this is an automatic process. You will find your migrated data in a “U: Drive Data” folder within your OneDrive.
- From this point onwards you should work from your OneDrive, your U: drive folder will become “read only” – meaning that you cannot amend any existing files or create new ones.
- On the 28th of August, the shortcut to your U: drive folder will be removed.
Further guidance can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
Page updated: 28/07/2020 15:53:09