Moving a printer/scanner
Before asking IT Services to move or relocate printers, consideration must be given to all users of the device. Since printers are provided for all staff, no one Department or section has complete ownership of a printer.
Points to consider when moving location:
- All printer moves and relocations must be co-ordinated through the IT Service Desk.
- If a section is relocating to another building owned by the Authority, there should already be a printer available on site and possibly no need to move a device.
- If a section is moving to a new building not previously occupied by the Authority consideration will need to be given to moving the printer. However, staff that may be remaining in a building should be considered.
- A printer belongs to the building itself not the occupants, it will not automatically move with the occupants if they relocate.
- If an office or building is closing the printer will need to be removed from the site but again will not automatically move with the occupants. It will depend on the locations they are relocating too and what print and copy provision is already there.
- Printer relocations will take up to 10 working days to process with our supplier and as much notice as possible is needed to ensure IT Services can meet your needs.
If there is any doubt please contact IT Services well ahead of the planned move. We are here to ensure that your needs are met and that you experience as little disruption to the IT service as possible.
Questions to ask yourself before requesting a printer move:
- Why do I need to move a printer? Are there print and copy facilities at the new location?
- Will any staff be remaining in the building I am vacating? These may be from other Departments or sections.
- What are my printing requirements? (Colour printing, A4, A3, stapling, binding)
- Where is the device I wish to move located, where do I need it to move to and when?
Once you have asked yourself the above questions and are happy that you have a good case to relocate a device, you will need to log a call with the IT Service Desk.
You will be asked to provide the following details in the call:
- Equipment number. This starts with the numbers 181 and is printed on the device.
- The date that you would like the device moved (As stated it takes a minimum of 10 working days to process a move as much notice as possible is needed).
- The address where the device is currently located, including which floor it may be on.
- The full contact details of a person at the current location that can act as a point of contact. (Must include, email and direct telephone number)
- The address where the device is to be located, including which floor it may be on.
- The full contact details of a person at the new location that can act as a point of contact. (Must include, email and direct telephone number)
Page updated: 29/07/2020 13:30:34