This is an assessment of your desktop setup, the area around it (including your chair) and the work that you carry out relevant to your personal abilities.
The aim of a workstation assessment is to identify and consider any risk factors present which may be causing current or future health problems, or which may reduce your ability to carry out your work effectively.
Display Screen Equipment (DSE)
DSE are devices or equipment that have an alphanumeric or graphic display screen and includes display screens, laptops, touch screens and other similar devices.
It is a legal requirement to comply with the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992. These regulations apply if you regularly use DSE as a significant part of your normal work (daily, for continuous periods of an hour or more).
If you use DSE your workstation:
- Must be assessed and any risks reduced.
- Any necessary controls should be in place.
- Information and training should be provided.
- You should be provided with eyesight tests.
- The assessment should be reviewed when required, e.g. changes to the workstation / DSE or the User
All new staff should complete the Self Assessment Checklist, to ensure that any issues are identified from day one. If you believe you need a workstation assessment please follow this process:
- Complete a Display Screen Equipment Self Assessment.
- Your assessment will be sent to your manager. They will discuss and review the details with you and discuss any adjustments that may be required.
- If your manager has requested further advice from our Health and Safety Team, we will forward our recommendations.
A visit from the health and safety team may be recommended dependant on action/s identified form your assessment. If a medical issue requires further advice or adjustments, your manager may refer you to Occupational Health for advice.
“Please note, due to the current circumstances with COVID-19: After completion of the DSE form, if further assessment is required by a Health and Safety Advisor or OH Practitioner, this will be undertaken via Microsoft Teams”
Ergonomic Workstation Set-up
Page updated: 29/05/2020 16:25:41