Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
BYOD allows you to access work data securely from your personal mobile device (Apple or Android). This data is accessed from a variety of Microsoft Apps, which can be downloaded from your App Store, these include Outlook (e-mail), OneDrive (data/file storage), Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Teams/Skype (collaboration and communication).
Please note: We do not offer BYOD for Windows or Mac operating systems, access from these systems is restricted to corporate devices only.
To make use of BYOD on your personal device, your line manager will have to make a request via this online form.
Please be aware that BYOD may not be suitable for all staff, and approval will be at the discretion of your Head of Service.
Full guidance will be sent to users once they have been approved, users will also have to accept the BYOD Policy and read the Terms & Conditions when registering for BYOD for the first time.
- iOS (Apple) devices - Please skip to step 2, Intune Company Portal App is not required for your device.
Android devices - Open the Google Play Store and search for “Intune Company Portal” – Check that it is published by Microsoft, and download/install.
Intune Company Portal App Logo
IMPORTANT: You do NOT need to open or sign into this app, it just needs to exist on your device.
- Open the App Store on your device. You will now be able to download Microsoft Apps such as Outlook, Office, Teams, OneNote, OneDrive and Skype for Business. Download the Apps that you require and wait for them to fully install.
- For each Microsoft App you have downloaded you will be required to sign in with your Carmarthenshire e-mail address and password, when you sign in to the first App, you will be asked to read and accept the BYOD Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please note that all Apps will restart on first use whilst our security policies are applied to it.
Device Security: If you device does not have a PIN or biometric (fingerprint or face) protection on it, you will be required to set a PIN before you can use BYOD Apps.
Notifications: If you wish to turn off notifications for any BYOD App, this can commonly be done via the settings menu for each App, for example on the Outlook App, click the settings cog and scroll down to “notifications”, from here you will be able to disable or change notifications if you do not wish to be disturbed during certain time periods.
There are a number of useful apps that you can install on your personal device once BYOD has been successfully setup, these include:
- Microsoft Outlook - This will give you access to your work emails and calendar.
- Microsoft OneDrive – This will give you access to all your personal files/data.
- Microsoft Office – This app incorporates Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other useful Microsoft applications, allowing you to view and edit numerous document types.
- Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business – Communication tools, allowing you to communicate effectively with colleagues and external users.
For further information on using these mobile apps, please see the links and downloads in the ‘Links and Downloads’ section at the bottom of this page.
Page updated: 22/04/2020 17:27:57